This article will focus on Chegg Skills' AI learning companion, SkillMate, and how it can be used to enhance your learning experience. A detailed video on using SkillMate can be found here.
What is SkillMate?
Chegg SkillMate is an AI-powered teaching tool that provides instant answers to your questions about what you're learning, and practice exercises to help you master it.
SkillMate, put simply, is a chat bot that you can access from your lesson pages. In the chat, you can ask it anything from definitions of key terms to tips on how to work through assignments. SkillMate is available around the clock and is connected directly to your curriculum, ensuring that you have the information you need when you need it.
What do students who have used it think about SkillMate?
Active students love using SkillMate and we think you will, too!
Here's what they've had to say:
- "I'm staying on the site longer now, and I'm getting more done. 30% increase. It's been very helpful."
- "SkillMate has prepped me for assessments better and has gotten me through assessments faster."
How do I start using SkillMate?
To use SkillMate, follow these steps:
- Access your current lesson and click the SkillMate icon.
- If you have never used SkillMate before, it will automatically pop up as an orange and grey icon at the bottom of your screen.
- If desired, you can take a quick tutorial about how to use SkillMate any time you open it.
- Use the chat window that opens to type a question about your lessons.
- Note: SkillMate will redirect any irrelevant topics back to your curriculum!
- SkillMate will respond to your question and, if appropriate, will follow up with an opportunity to practice the concept.
- For practice opportunities, use the buttons that appear to answer SkillMate's questions.
- Continue the conversation for as long as you'd like! All done? Just close the window!
Can I still connect with a live curricular coach?
Yes, you can connect with a live tutor by navigating to the Support tab in your SkillMate chat window. You will have the option to chat immediately with a Chegg Skills Live Chat coach during open hours or sign up for an upcoming Q&A Session with a lesson expert.
Can I view my chat history with SkillMate?
Yes, chat history is now available. You can easily review your chat history with SkillMate.
Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of your chat window. A drop-down menu will appear, showing "Chat History" as a clickable option.
Click on the small expand window icon next to this link to pull up a larger window showing each of your separate chat sessions on the left side.
Click on the desired chat session displayed on the left side of the window to display your chat history for review.
Can I refresh SkillMate and restart my conversation?
Yes, you can restart a conversation. Click the three dots in the upper right corner of the SkillMate window to open the drop-down menu. Click on "Restart Chat."
Can I make SkillMate bigger so it's easier to read?
Yes! You can resize the SkillMate panel by using the slider on the bottom left corner of the SkillMate window (emphasized by the red arrow below).
How do I let Chegg know if I think I've received incorrect information from SkillMate?
If you think a SkillMate response seems incorrect, click the thumbs-down button.
Doing this will send an alert directly to our SkillMate teams who will check the response and, if necessary, give SkillMate the necessary training to fix the error.
Don't worry: More than 95% of chat responses are reported as accurate and trustworthy! But, mistakes can happen and - if they do - we want to hear about it!
Are my conversations with SkillMate logged and used by Chegg for any purposes?
Yes, we record, retain, and use the communications and information you enter for quality assurance purposes. Therefore, we recommend that you avoid including any sensitive information in the chat.